Once your hearing has been damaged, professionals are rarely able to get it restored. This is why one must avoid instances where your ears and hearing could be damaged as much as possible.
So what can you do if your occupation requires you to be around loud noises that can potentially damage your ears??
There are many ways to delay or even stop hearing impairment or hearing loss from happening especially as you grow older.
In this article, you will learn:
- What causes hearing loss or hearing impairment
- Your care tips and tricks
- Where you can get a hearing assessment and consultation service
Are you looking for a hearing assessment service today? Give Hearmore UK for more information about how you can schedule a complimentary hearing assessment.?
Common causes of hearing loss
There are four leading causes of hearing loss or hearing impairment. Identifying the cost of hearing loss is an essential step in treating the problem.?
Damage to your hearing may be due to:
- Age-related hearing loss
- Noise, deafening and constant sounds
- Medications that contain specific chemicals
- Diseases such as measles, mumps, and meningitis
- Injury to the eardrum, skull, or any air pressure changes?
For the best advice on what to do when faced with hearing loss, consult an audiologist for the most effective treatment program.
How can you avoid hearing loss??
Hearing can rarely be restored. Here are some ways to prevent hearing impairment from happening in the first place.
Noise-related hearing loss?
There is a misconception that only loud noises can cause hearing damage. But the truth is, the inner ear can still sustain significant damage if the noise is consistent enough, even if you do not feel pain.
A good rule to remember is if you need to shout to be heard to hear someone speaking, chances are in an environment that is too loud.
Avoid these loud sounds for protecting your ears through the following means:?
- Wear earplugs or earmuffs if a noisy environment is unavoidable
- Opt to wear ear protection when using a lawn mower power tools or even listening to music via a personal stereo
- Turn down your music to 60% if you like wearing earphones or a headset
Medication-related hearing loss
Certain types of medication are known to cause hearing loss. But it is important to remember that you must treat the more urgent medical matter first before thinking about hearing loss in this case. Although unavoidable, you should still consult your doctor on the possible measures that you can take to protect your ears.?
The best way to do away with hearing loss is to take your medications as prescribed by your doctor and if there are any unusual symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.
Injury-related hearing loss
Unavoidable types of hearing loss may be the cause of hearing damages.?
This is because something as traumatic as a head injury causes trauma to the temporal bones, which protect the middle and inner ears. So even a concussion could trigger hearing damage even though the skull is not broken.?
To avoid injury related hearing loss, here are some tips you should follow:?
- If you do sport for a living, be sure to wear the necessary equipment such as a helmet during training and games
- Be sure to wear a seatbelt whenever on the road
- Be careful of any fall damage you may encounter, even when walking on the street
Suspecting hearing loss? Take a hearing assessment today
Are you suspecting the early signs of hearing loss?
It may be time to visit a professional audiologist today. For complementary and at-home hearing assessments, give Hearmore UK a call today.?
Remember that hearing loss could be permanent. So it is best to mitigate the situation before it gets worse. Take care of your hearing as early as you can!?